I’ve seen a lot of people being pissed over fan art being “stolen”. When I first started using tumblr and saw these complaints pop up, I sympathized mostly, because hey, I’ve had that happen to a couple of fanvids of mine and I know a lot of people have had their fics posted by other people without permission. It’s not cool to pretend someone else’s art is your own.
However, I further discovered that many of these complainers define stealing as “posting on a blog without credit.” Now, this is still within the realm of reason. If I post your art on my blog and you want credit, it’s my duty to give a source or link to the original. All that takes is a polite request and a blog’s compliance.
Ah, hmm hmm.
I’m pretty easy-going about my art being reblogged/posted/not credited/whatever. That said, I’m not at ALL easygoing about other people’s art getting posted around without credit, because there are THREE TOOLS, if not more, that make it very easy to source art:
Tineye. Also available as a Firefox plugin. As a plugin, all you do is right-click the image and use the “Tineye” option on the dropdown.
sauceNAO. This is useful if you’re trying to source images from Pixiv (though I find you can also do this by using Google Translate on the pages, and looking for usernames).
Google Advanced Image Search. Instead of putting search keywords in the entry field like you would normally, click the little camera icon at the right of the entry field. This will bring up a popup that allows you to search either by an image’s URL, or by uploading the image directly to Google. This will show you both other instances of the same image on the web (even at different sizes!), which allows you to find where the image was originally posted - usually the artist’s blog. If not, there is generally something that will mention the artist’s name.
Yes, I do think some people get inordinately upset about their work being posted without a source, and I particularly do not get why people get so dang upset over having their commentary removed. But, the fact is, it’s very easy to source art 99% of the time. If you know that they dislike seeing their art posted without a source, then do them that very small kindness and source them. They appreciate the publicity.
Just adding that somewhere along the line I picked up a neat little tool for Chrome that makes this really easy! It’s an extension for Google reverse image search.
Literally all I have to do is right click on image > search Google with this image.
It’s right here if you want to add it as well.
Less than 15 seconds to source something! Copy and paste the source if you don’t want to type! IT COULD NOT BE EASIER
(this is a little in response too to a post i saw going around the other day where people were saying that they didn’t have the ‘spoons’ to source images. they evidently had the spoons to write a 4 paragraph post about it but not to actually do it i think that’s called just being lazy)
Reblogging for this fine useful addition to the toolset!
In firefox it’s as easy as dragging an image into the google search bar. It takes like two seconds.
It works on animated gifs.
Wow. This gets easier and easier. Maybe someone should make a masterpost of these.
- taraskelt reblogged this from thebitterthesweet
- prince-of-spades reblogged this from thebitterthesweet
- prince-of-spades likes this
- thebitterthesweet reblogged this from bessarion
- tomsp likes this
- the-killing-of-kings reblogged this from juliedillon
- felixpheonix likes this
- shuwashuwa likes this
- gerbilfluff likes this
- nightwithmoon likes this
- androidtortilla likes this
- laura-jayne-1170 reblogged this from theheroheart
- lojovski reblogged this from theheroheart
- and-the-times-we-had reblogged this from theheroheart
- rianeand likes this
- lukeglantons reblogged this from theheroheart
- theheroheart reblogged this from juliedillon
- msalaniusramblings likes this
- fleshfeast likes this
- likeabook likes this
- pogonophilic-cat reblogged this from chizicus
- mogpoe likes this
- vaultscout likes this
- can-town-mayor reblogged this from strawberryorange
- strawberryorange reblogged this from kassa-fabrication and added:
- bob-artist likes this
- onimoz likes this
- overlordrae reblogged this from mistahgrundy
- chaostearkitsune reblogged this from underlordwynt
- underlordwynt reblogged this from detectivedeathmachine
- gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey reblogged this from naturalshocks
- andi-sz reblogged this from kamidoodles
- vulcanoes likes this
- vinnyreblogs reblogged this from vulcanoes and added:
- vinnora likes this
- vulcanoes reblogged this from summonerskies
- xhakhal likes this
- wojojojo reblogged this from poupon
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- serissime reblogged this from bachin221b and added:
- twirlingavengers likes this
- moonderp reblogged this from teapirate
- icouldbeanyonebutimnot likes this
- grapefruit-rinds likes this
- whitepolaris likes this
- xxxladybluexx reblogged this from teapirate
- xxxladybluexx likes this
- phdoesstuff likes this
- summonerskies reblogged this from teapirate
- summonerskies likes this