- It’s written in a fairly archaic style. Since 2010, the big thing in CSS has been responsive design, giving the browser exactly what they need. Small screens get small images, big screens get big images. This is slightly more complicated than you would expect, since layouts don’t scale at all: a 10x10 grid of thumbnails might look fine at 1920x1080, but be lost in a sea of whitespace at 2880x1800, and be completely unreadable on a cellphone, where a 10x10 grid can result in thumbnails that are sixteen by sixteen pixels each.
It doesn’t look great on my weirdo clowncar monitor either.
Some good examples of responsive design is Justin Ouellette’s theme, (which costs money) and to a lesser extent, mine. (which doesn’t)
- There’s some UI problems. Grid themes usually don’t have timestamps, and the layout breaks the “older posts are lower down on the page” convention; which makes it hard to tell how often a person posts, which is the second most important piece of information you need when you’re considering following someone. (“Do they post dumb shit, and do they post dumb shit all the time?”)
- A nebulous, hornrimmed-glasses criticism: Are thumbnails even necessary in the year 2012? Monitors are big, internet connections are fast. (For modern desktop computers, ignoring the hundreds of millions of cell phones and old computers out there— this is where responsive design comes in, again) A greenfield design, written today, would just put all the images, at moderate resolution (800xN) on one big page, without the premature optimization of thumbnails. Thumbnails are important if you’re Amazon, and serving ten zillion product images a day; but perhaps less important if you’re displaying art. You want people to see your stuff! More importantly, you don’t want to make it hard for people to see your stuff!
- badhawaiian-shirts likes this
- walkingthelog likes this
- plaidfluff reblogged this from heysawbones and added:
- serain likes this
- majaraco likes this
- dappertomcat reblogged this from heysawbones
- shmrie likes this
- ivysaurr likes this
- polks likes this
- heysawbones reblogged this from c1qfxugcgy0
- theworstpersonintheworld likes this
- c1qfxugcgy0 posted this